Tuesday, July 13, 2010

V 0.0.0.3 - Items and Optimization

What's that I hear? Is that an update? Why yes it is. Version 0.0.0.3 is up. I basically ripped the guts out of the game and stuffed them back in, in different places. I put things like Move where they belong, and simplified my 8 or 27 or so direction command sections into two simple sections. One lists those 8 directions, the second does a short loop and catches them all. 1/4th the size of before.

I've got items working now, too. Now, it's nothing too major at the moment. But it's a new toy you can play around with. The level generation creates five health potions, and puts them randomly around the dungeon. You can [,] pick them up and [d]rop them down elsewhere. You can even try to [e]at them. (I see eat and quaff as the same thing - one's solid, the other's liquid. So my [e]at command will do either.) There is a little bug though that's keeping potions from working perfectly. When I call the Eat command, it calls the Item object's Eat command, instead of Potion's Eat command. I need to look more into having Potion's Eat command override that, if the Item in question is a Potion.

0.0.0.4 should see that fixed, as well as a true inventory menu. Also, monster spawning. The most major thing I want to implement, though, is to have the game load in its libraries of default items and creatures from text files. That way, anyone outside the code can mod those text files, and mod in/out creatures and items. That should really increase the variety in the game. And you know what? I have some ideas for neat tricks I can get going without much work, I'll try to throw those in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment