Saturday, August 7, 2010

0.0.0.6 - Body Parts and Combat

......_............
...../.\.I'm.Okay!.
.....\_/...........
......|./..........
......|/...........
......|............
......|............
...../.\...........
..../...\..........
...................

It's another week, another update. What gifts does Kala bring this time? Why, a Body Part system that lets rats know they don't have opposable thumbs, and lets limbs be broken, maimed, and even completely taken off. Even threw in a splash of blood for you.

So yeah, there really isn't much more to say on the matter. You can now get into fist fights with the goblins and get your arm broken. You can also bleed out. You can theoretically survive without a leg, but if your head's damaged beyond repair, you're a goner. Also, rats have finally stopped picking up potions, and going for them. The AI has been shifted over to Creatures, rather than the main Update loop. This means that the AI can be more individual to the individual creatures. Go have fun with it.

As for what I'm working on next, probably armor and weapons. And getting that inventory menu to show you your items. Same concept, a screen to show your health. From here 'till version 0.0.1, I'm going to be focusing more on stuff that will use the systems I have in place, rather than go out of my way to make more. Really, a lot of the framework I needed is up now. So expect armor and weapons, some feedback, and maybe some skill gains or something like that. And a system to save your game, that'll be useful, if complicated to make. Hey, maybe I can even do multiple levels.

Oh, and something interesting, I found a bug. Memory leaks, they're causing the memory requirement of the game to rise the longer it's run, until eventually it will have to quit. I'm downloading a program that will help me track down what's causing that. It's not of critical importance, but it's on a list of things to do. Still, I think other things could use more of my attention right now, I'll get to the memory leaks once I've done some other things. Technically, they're probably not memory leaks. Rather, some bit of code is hanging on to variables it shouldn't need anymore, and keeps making more. Not so much garbage collection's fault. But I call 'em memory leaks. They act like memory leaks, and I'm going to track those down sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment