Saturday, August 14, 2010

Adventurer 0.0.0.7 Level Upgrade


Adventurer 0.0.0.7 is ready for the world. I know last time I said I was going to do armor and weapons and stuff. Well, here's how my train of thought went: "Okay, to do armor, I'll need to be able to place the items down. I could add that to the mix with potions, but... eww, the potions are all in the halls, too. They need to only be in rooms. Now how am I going to do rooms? Hmm, I could do it this way... what about doors? That would be cool. And stairs. Those could all be fixtures..." And before you know it, I'd completely rewritten the level generation.

But I think it was worth it. The dungeon layout feels a lot better, and now we've got doors that you can [o]pen and [c]lose. The goblins and rats handle it perfectly; goblins can open doors, rats can't. Rats don't have any body parts dextrous enough. Also, since I had doors working, I went ahead and made another dungeon fixture, stairs. You can now go up [<] and down [>] stairs to the next level up or down. Now, the levels aren't persistent like Nethack; that'll involve saving levels to files, and I'll tackle that once I try to tackle save files in general. You can, however, go deeper or more shallow through the dungeon, and it all seems to work right.

Also, while I was at it, I fixed up the inventory menu a little better. Still not perfect, but you can see what you're carrying with you now. Also, I used the same principle to make a health menu. You can see all the body parts you have, and the general condition they're in. Also, I color coded everything to do with health so it's easier to notice you've lost over 30% of your blood, and your head's about to be hacked off.

Next update will probably be more to do with armor and weapons and such, if I can get the equipping of items to start working right.

No comments:

Post a Comment