Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Shifting Priority

I don't know how to say this well, but here: I am putting a hold on Adventurer while I work on something else. I've spent the last two months learning new skills. Blender, interactive fiction writing, 3D with openGL or XNA, etcetera. And now... I'm ready to put some of those to use.

Instead of Adventurer, I'm going to be working on a 3D game. Just so you know what to expect... think Minecraft. I am going to procedurally generate the world out of 3D tiles, aka blocks. You the character are going to be able to move around in the environment. From there, I will build RPG/roguelike/adventure elements on. It will probably be a huge mish-mash of genres. And it will be a sandbox sort of game. But other than the "world procedurally generated out of blocks" approach (which I like due to the open-ended simplicity of it), I am going to try to avoid being just a Minecraft clone.

So, apologies for getting your hopes up for an Adventurer update, but hopefully what I come up with next will be to your liking. I have no idea how long it will take to get something workable up, but I will keep you posted on progress.

I need ideas for a name though. Suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new project!
    Cubelike? Blockosphere? NoMiC(Not Minecraft Clone)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I suspect Adventurer will return one day with the benefits of your new skills---nice 3D spinning logo/title screen with crazy shiny UI and menus!

    Hard to say on a name until the thing takes shape more with identity and such...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what it's like to see projects peter to a halt and die. Not what's going on here. I'm just shifting to a slower update schedule. Still not going to be the "once every several months" thing I've seen elsewhere.

    lol.

    ReplyDelete