Friday, May 6, 2011

Textured and Optimizations


I got the blocks to texture, which is a huge step. I also did some optimizations, including one huge one that basically means I shouldn't have to worry about draw speed for quite some time.

There's only two problems I've run into at the moment. The first is in increasing the number of blocks - the "draw all the vertices in this list" command can only take 65000 vertices before it complains. You can get that many when you up the number of blocks. I'll have to split up the vertices to draw into multiple lists.

The second is in baking the "will this face every be seen" info in, when there's a ton of blocks. It only has to be calculated once, right at the beginning. But there's a lot of blocks to go through, and it can take a little while. I'll have to look at what's slowing that down.

Good news is that I can put that off for a bit until I start working with a huge world. I'll work on the free roaming camera next, and make it more so that the player is the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment