Sunday, September 12, 2010

0.0.1 - The Complete SDL Overhaul


For all of you who were waiting for compatibility - here you go. This should now run on about anything. Even before I've looked into cross-platform compatibility, you should be able to run this on other operating systems if you use the right tools. XNA has been completely obliterated from Adventurer. No more heavy requirements. In fact, I don't even know what else you would need. I've got the dlls with it. Hence, why it's half a megabyte now whereas before it was less than 100 kb. It's because the old versions required huge libraries that would be a headache to download. This should include everything.

It was a lot of work (as you may know from my last two posts), but that's done and more. In addition to using a whole new display and input system (which should have no visible change to the end user beyond increased compatibility), more has been added to the game itself. Creatures now generate uniquely, instead of being a copy of a prototype. That means all creatures, with more statistics in there, now start with their own unique statistic levels. Stronger ones hit harder, more dextrous ones are more accurate, higher constitution ones take less damage, etcetera.

All creatures now start with their items in the appropriate slots. Which means you start wearing your clothes rather than carrying them. Creatures should also recognize and manage their weapons and armor now - if they've got a dagger in hand and come across the more powerful hand axe, they should unequip the dagger and then equip the hand axe. Also, item crafting was balanced better and I fixed a bug with multiple of the same components. Which means you need three pieces of cloth to craft pants, but only one for a hat.

And I think that's about it, other than little nick and knacks. Next week's going to see about capitalizing on the improved crafting system and possibly getting an experience system going. And anything else I think up as I go. Also, I'm going to ask around about ways to increase visibility. I've been on it over two months, and I've still had never better than 8 downloads in a week. I mean, I'm going to keep going regardless. Maybe it's normal. I don't know, I've never done this before. Anyway, check it out if you like this sort of thing, and I'll be back no later than next week with more of the fruits of my labor.

2 comments:

  1. Your best bet for visibility is to post your release announcements on r.g.r.d, r.g.r.a, r.g.r.m, #rgrd, Temple of the Roguelike, Twitter, Facebook, and, most importantly, the News section of Roguebasin.

    Also, you may want to schedule your next release for the (fast approaching) September 19 Annual Roguelike Release Party.

    Best of luck!

    Ebyan "Nolithius" Alvarez-Buylla
    http://www.nolithius.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to Nolithius...and also make a thread over at Bay12 or bump an older one as I saw nothing for it at a glance and surely more than 8 folks will download something at all similar in part to DF.

    ReplyDelete