Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Adventurer 0.0.1.1



I've got Adventurer 0.0.1.1 up. It feels a bit overwhelming to try to match what I got done last week, and this week was probably really more of a break. But I did get some important things done. For example, if you've been crashing when attempting to load the Encyclopedia data, I think I fixed your problem. It was a weird thing to do with localization. When I use float.Parse(line), it thinks I mean the string is in the local format when running it, not the local format when compiling it. So 123.456 and 123,456 are the same thing depending on your region, but will cause crashes if yours doesn't match to mine. If you use dot-decimals, then you should already have been good. If you've got comma-decimals, give it a try for me and tell me if it works, or if I should work more on that.

An in terms of new features, you've got pick axes, shovels, and potions of regeneration. And chunks of dirt. All items now have potential "uses". Like a pick can mine out adjacent tiles, and a shovel can dig into the ground. It's in list form, as well, so items can have lists of many, many different ways in the future, which will be awesome. Also, I fixed up the item spawn rates. Components you can craft together will spawn now. I think this will be more and more interesting as crafting gets more developed.

Sorry to 64-bit users, you're out of luck for the moment. And anyone not on Windows. But other than that, this version should work just fine for you. Tell me if it doesn't and I'll see if I can figure out what the problem is. I'll be looking at fixing it up for 64-bit users, and Mono for cross-platform development.

Okay! For next week, I'm going to be taking a look at the aforementioned improved compatibility. Maybe add more items, like always. Also, I'm going to fix a bug that is making creature stats behave weirdly. I thought I nerfed rats, but I still got an arm bitten off. Maybe some more creatures. Maybe creatures with some unique quirks, like slimes that can't see but can smell and hear well, and use that to sense stuff rather than sight.

2 comments:

  1. Best game I have seen of its kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old Crow AKA Dad: It's also the only game you've seen of its kind. :p

    ReplyDelete