Friday, October 1, 2010

End of Month 3 - September

Sorry, no update yet. My parents had a week to themselves for their anniversary, so I went on a little vacation with a relative. I couldn't do much with Adventurer. But now I'm back, and I'm back to work.

The goals this time are a lot like I had before. I've already fixed it to where every item is now wieldable as a weapon. I also tried to get Mono working, but for some reason MonoDevelop wouldn't run for me. I'll look into that some more. Another big thing will be examining things - and particularly, examination at range. If you see a red !, there will be a simple tool much like Nethack's ';' command to send a cursor around, gathering info about what is on that tile. That system will also prove useful in developing things like range combat.

Overall, this month has been pretty good, other than the missed update. I got the SDL overhaul done and fixed some of the worst crash bugs, which means that if you're on a 32-bit system using some kind of Windows, you should be able to run this. I attempted Mono but that's giving me problems running, so until I get that sorted out, non-Windows users are out of luck for now unless they have some tricks of their own. 64-bit users will presumably still have problems unless that somehow disappeared, I need to look more into that, I just haven't yet.

But most astounding is the increase in downloads I've seen. Over 50 downloads of 0.0.1.1. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Maybe this will start to get a few players, then. I'll just keep on going, as always. Also, I didn't see any more ad revenue last I checked, but ah well, I don't expect any until I can do something more with this.

So yeah, expect an update in the next couple days, one that will allow you to look at things at a distance, wield any item, and probably some other things too.

1 comment:

  1. Keep on it. Roguelike games tend to gain popularity at the least expected moment. Don't count on donations though -- even DoomRL gets 30-40$ on average monthly.

    That said, focus on gameplay, not the underlying mechanics. Try to get to the point of "fun", then make it more complex.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete