Sunday, October 31, 2010

0.0.1.5 Forest Overworld and 64-Bit Fix




And then, vast stretches of untamed wilderness. The green forest stretches endlessly in all directions. Dungeons are hidden around the world, waiting for an adventurer to find them.

Yes you all, I have made an overworld. Although unlike I said before, towns are not yet part of it. I pretty quickly figured that before I start putting in more individual one-map-tile locations, I need a backdrop for it. Namely, an immense forest. That's the biggest thing I worked on the past week, along with web classes and work getting ready for moving. However, there is one more big thing about this update. Something so important it requires a new line and a special formatting:

****************************************
*ADVENTURER NOW WORKS ON 64-BIT SYSTEMS*
****************************************

Or at least, as far as I can tell. I found that a person I know has a 64-bit system, had them test old Adventurer and tell me what the crash log put out. It seemed to be to do with the Sdl.dll not being 64-bit. But I couldn't find one, so stumped, I went on #RGRD. There, a person (goes by nihilanth) said they thought a simple tweak to the .csproj file may fix the actual problem. I did it, sent it off to 64-bit guy, and it ran perfectly. So I assume the 64-bit problem is now fixed for everyone. Tell me if it isn't. And yes, you have #RGRD to thank again for helping a new developer put out better stuff faster.

As for next week, I'll see about getting towns in proper, and maybe some other stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Very intresting and promising roguelike project. I'll definetly keep an eye on this and hope it'll grow to a fully featured game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is looking sharp! I know this is a bit of an older post, but I wanted to point you to Dance of Death by Nolithius. Part of DoD takes place in a procedurally generated overworld, so I thought you might find inspiration in his blog posts about it and the current build at:

    http://www.nolithius.com/dod

    Be sure to press m to see what the whole world looks like. He also has helpful indicators at the edges of the maps and of course alters the terrain in each map based on its "sector type" in the overworld map. Good stuff. : D

    ReplyDelete