Saturday, October 16, 2010

0.0.1.3 - Semi-Persistent Levels




You can get the most recent update at Google Code, as always. Two big things I did for this update. The first is semi-persistent levels. They'll keep the same floor layout when you return to them. Items and creatures will still shuffle. This, at least, will have nil effects on memory.

The second thing is that I fixed some combat bugs. Like in the quick MSPaint crud above, I think it's pretty obvious why rats were still hardcore. They were wielding daggers. It happened because in the creature loading code, I never set the default item back to null. So since rats came after goblins and rats have no weapon data, the goblin data never got overwritten in that regard. I fixed that. Also, I added something else that will help combat make more sense.

Weapons now, instead of replacing natural damage, add to it. So I went through and reworked the item damage data and natural creature damage data to compensate. In the bit of testing I did, it seemed much better. Rats are just annoying, a single goblin can seriously hurt you, but you probably won't die in an encounter unless you have terrible luck with RNG and just keep fighting. I didn't encounter any ogres or minotaurs or dragons yet, but I wanted to get the update out faster than making sure those are balanced.

So next week, I'll work more on that. I'll also see about getting more interesting interactions going on. Such as a creature not having arms and being unable to wield a weapon or open doors normally, but still able to bash down doors if they're large and strong enough (aka dragon). Also things that can get through doors should path through doors, while things that can't don't. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment