Friday, December 17, 2010

Adventurer 0.0.2.1 - Classic Update

Well my usual time of update has come and gone without an update, but I have good reason. I could complain about college eating up a lot of my time and then suddenly quit on the project altogether. But nah, I'm not like that. Seriously though, last week was the next-to-final week and had some of the hardest, most time consuming stuff. Never, ever try to do a "combo matrix" by hand. And then there was a lot of studying for both final exams, which I took today.

But that was only half of what is taking up my time. The other half is Adventurer. I'm working hard on 0.0.2.1, but it's not quite ready yet. ...actually, you know what? I just think I fixed it enough to give it to you all. I started to write this blog post before I finished it, but yeah. Here you go.

The major change here is one that may not be perfectly agreed upon. I switched to a more classic roguelike style health and damage system. There are a few reasons why I did this. The first is that it was hard to tell how close you were to death before. The second is that it was extremely unbalanced. The third is that I have much more source material to borrow data off of in this format. Hopefully, the increase in fun will outdo the temporary loss of an uncommon combat system. I do intend to either switch back to a realistic style or to continue using the current system, but with a lot of improvements that will go hand in hand with it while increasing the detail level of combat.

The other major change, the one that suddenly increases this game's longevity by a lot, is an experience system. Yes, you can finally gain levels and grow stronger. I even rigged up save files with it and improved those. You can save and pick up exactly where you left off, current hit points and all.

A more personal change is that I totally redid how the game internally handles input from the player. I shifted everything over to use the WaitForKey method instead of weaving my logic in with my SDL. I started on this because rats spontaneously decided they could save their moves up, then use them in one burst. Dealing with it in the SDL mire was a no go. So now it is MUCH more simple on my end. It's just what ate up most of my time this week.

And finally, I fixed a bug where kicking down a door would leave a permanent shadow spot where it was. I'd forgotten to set the tile back to transparent when a door is kicked down. The other bug that was pointed out was the duplicate body parts. I have no idea what's causing that yet. It shouldn't affect much, I'll see if I can spot what's causing it next week.

So next week. The bestiary is looking pretty thin. Now that I've got this classic-style update done, it will be easy to add in a ton of creatures and some more items. So I'm going to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! It seems tripwires have stopped working tho. They produce message but you don't lose any actions. Neither do monsters.
    Also rats (NPC at least) seem to do insane amount of damage. 8-17 this far and characters I've created have had 4-11 hit points so rats mostly kill me everytime they hit. This could be just random coincidence but I've one-kick all doors on PC rat this far. On human character it usually takes several kicks before door is destroyed.
    Saving and loading works but you lose map memory in between... aaand, got map with no access to stairs down + no materials to make pick-axe ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 0.0.2.3 fix resolves a lot of things, as you've so helpfully revealed a lot of bugs. It really should be coincidence about the door-kick thing. The tripwires are better resolved with an actual Effect, which I'll be doing next week. And I reworked level generation some, though it is still theoretically possible to end up in a part of the dungeon that doesn't lead further down. Also, the compression of level saves means that certain things like dug tiles aren't preserved. Perhaps I can do something about that, though. We'll see in the future.

    ReplyDelete