Saturday, December 25, 2010

Adventurer 0.0.2.2 - Unified Tileset and De-dragoned Rats




So I've got this uploaded to Google Code. I pretty much just took a fan suggestion and went with it. Basically, someone needs to be able to edit a tileset. I'm a horrible sprite artist myself. Not that I didn't try: I had to draw 253 ASCII tiles, which took up a good chunk of my time. Then there was actually getting SDL to properly load and display from this file, which took some time. But that all works, and should be easy to edit for anyone that would like something to look different. I'll improve it even more later on so that colors are properly preserved with the internal recoloring that happens right now to ASCII tiles.

Anyway, the edit also saw me having to work on rewriting the way grids of tiles are handled. I had to make a constant, which I really should have done to begin with, and then fix all the damage that caused everywhere. Eventually, I got it working fine. You should see some aesthetic differences, as in the picture above. Another slowdown is family holiday festivities including seeing a synchronized music/light show, and my monitor going down. The replacement also didn't seem to want to work on my computer. Third time was the charm though, borrowed my console monitor that was rigged up as a TV.

I also corrected some other bugs, most importantly the bug in the way DNotation was stored, causing rats to end up with dragon claws. Also, attempting to load a bad save file shouldn't crash the game now. Amongst other little things I worked on.

Next week I'm going to again try to work on adding a lot of creatures to flesh out the bestiary, if I don't get sidetracked by something else that needs to be done. And remember to check out the new forum, we need more members there.

Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, everyone.

1 comment: